Now I have to be honest, I’m not a huge fan of casseroles. But I have been looking for new things to try, we are in a food rut, so its time to branch out! This dish did not disappoint. Everyone had seconds, including my toddler.
There are a few things I altered from the original recipe to suit my family’s palate. I think everyone does that, feel free to alter mine as well.
- 1 – package frozen broccoli.
- 3 chicken breasts cubed
- 3 cups Grated Cheddar Cheese divided
- 2 tubes Town House CrackersSAUCE:
- 1 stick of butter- divided
- ¼ cups Cornstarch, dissolved in ½ cup COLD Water
- ⅓ cup Chicken Broth
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1½ cups of the above Cheddar Cheese
- Garlic powder
- In greased 13×9 pan, layer the broccoli and chicken, then set aside.
- In saucepan over medium heat, combine one portion of the the melted butter, cornstarch dissolved in water, chicken broth, seasonings, and milk. Stir well, and continue stirring until sauce has thickened.
- Turn heat down to low, and add 1- ½ cups grated cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.
- Pour over the chicken and broccoli.
- Top with 1- ½ cups grated cheddar cheese.
- Melt the butter, crush crackers. Don’t crush too small. Add crumbs to the second portion of th melted butter. Sprinkle crumbs over the top of the grated cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until hot & bubbly.
- The last 10 minutes of baking add shredded cheese to the top and let brown.
Everyone in my family had seconds, including my three year old. WOW! That does not happen everyday! I hope your family likes this easy dish as much as mine did. What a great weeknight meal.