The Holiday season has come around again. Is your house clean? Is it visitor ready? Today I want to talk about cleaning your home and making it “visitor ready”. I will share some tips that I use and a routine that I follow to help me keep my home clean so when we do have visitors I don’t have to scramble around. Okay, I still scramble around, doesn’t everyone do that? But I am not freaked out by the thought of someone coming over, especially after I run my routine!
Cleaning for the Holidays
The very first thing I do is determine how much time I have before guests arrive? 1 hour, 2 hours?
If I have 30 minutes this is what I do:
- Set a timer and tell everyone in the house to pick things up from the floor in common areas for 10 minutes. The worst part of our house is the toys and “stuff” on the floor.
- Unload and reload the dishwasher. Run the disposal and wipe the counter around the sink.
- Close bedroom doors.
- Turn on my essential oils diffuser. (spray room freshener, essential oils or light a candle)
- Fluff the pillows on the couch and make sure coats and shoes are hung by the door and not thrown on the floor. (kids, you know they kick off their shoes and drop the coat)
If I have an hour I do all the things above but I add a few more items to my routine:
- Vacuum common areas.
- Switch out the towels in the bathroom
- Clean the toilet, sink and mirror in the bathroom.
- Declutter my kitchen counters.
- Spot mop the kitchen floor.
If I have 2 hours or more my house gets a makeover! Or a good wipe down. I do all the above I just spend a bit more time in the family room, kitchen and bathroom making sure things are tidy and clean.
I have some tried and true products that I can not live with out. Want to know what they are? Of course you do. I use Toryen rags in the bathroom. They are so soft and really you only need water to wipe down your sink and mirror. I’m cheap and I use vinegar and baking soda in my toilet. It works great and saves me $$. For the kitchen I use disposer care for my disposer and Lysol wipes for my counters and to spot mop my floor.