About a month ago I made this flower to hang on the fence in my backyard. Originally I shared this post on Craftbotic, a crafting blog. It has been so popular I thought I would share it here as well.
I like to have decorations hanging on the fence. It’s old and probably needs to be replaced, but that is up to the neighbors. Until they decide to take it down, I enjoy the rustic-ness and decorate it with colorful items. When I ran across this pin on Pinterest, I knew I needed it for my fence!
I followed her basic instructions and bought 100 spoons. I dug around in my closet and found a plastic tray that once was used at an office party. More than likely it had cookies on it at one time, now it is the base. I brought home the lid to the coffee can from work to use as the center. I rummaged through my son’s bag of pipe cleaners and dug out all the black ones and a couple of the yellow ones.
Cut the handles off your spoons before you start hot gluing. Here is a tip, when you are cutting the handles off the spoons, cut them very short. I left too much handle on most of my spoons and had to re cut most of them. I used kitchen shears to “snap” the handles off. With a little pressure they snap easily.
The first row was the most difficult to glue. Her instructions were not clear, so it was trial and error. First I hot glued the row solid all the way around. That did not work so I popped off every other spoon and started over, staggering them a bit. Basically once I got going I just kept going. Then I went back and filled in gaps. Flowers are not perfect.
Then I took it to the garage and spray painted it yellow. While the paint was drying I hot glued the pipe cleaners to the lid of the coffee can. Then once the paint dried I glued the coffee can lid to the center. I found a wire coat hanger and glued it to the back to use as a hanger.
What a fun, cheap project. With a toddler in my house, all big people’s crafts must be done during nap time. This took me about 2 hours to complete and adds a great pop of color to my back yard garden!
I can’t wait for you to share pictures of your creations!
Update 6-1-2012: I made this smaller version yesterday. I used a child size plate that I found in the dollar spot at Target as the base and used crafter’s adhesive to glue on the spoons. I spray painted the whole thing orange then used two brown pipe cleaners as the center.